Friday, July 30, 2010

I lack a fire.

I haven't written a song since...well, songwriting class. I doubt this some sort of trivial artist's block; I'm beginning to think that I don't have the mind of an artist.

I enjoy playing music because it's cathartic (and hella fun, depending on the song). When I try writing something, I get nowhere near any lyrics. Loads upon loads of melodies and chord progressions, but not a word. What do I want to sing about? I don't know; I haven't found anything worth singing about in months. Teacher said I had a bit of writing talent, but it's useless without something to use it on. I REALLY want to avoid creating something sappy or mopey or corny...but maybe, for a time, that's going to be unavoidable, until I can find the line that divides the trite song from the honest one.

No comments:

Post a Comment